Friday, June 08, 2007

The last of the slippers




There are just a few left. But I was reassured for next year by their tell tale two leaves, a footprint, as such, of promise. And I'm hopeful for many more springs with many more walks. High hopes, keep me from dwelling on the possibilities and circumstances that would take these walks away. But the truth is, we never know.

We never know if today will be the last time we see someone. If that good night kiss or morning snuggle will be the last we share. Life gets so hectic that this fact tends to elude us (me). But in the quiet of the early morning, I know it to be true. And make promises not to take people and circumstances for granted.

Yesterday, during our walking chatter, my friend piped up and said, "But I guess I'm quite a bit older than you." I smiled. Not about whether it is true or not, but because I said similar words (but in reverse) to my mentor Marty, many many years ago. At a time when I thought we would all live forever. And if heaven is on earth, it's true, and she is here. (Especially with her pictures in front and behind me as I sit at this computer.) Reminding me as always to get out of the computer room and get some fresh air. When I close my eyes, I can still hear her saying, "biovax will be here in the morning..."

Marty loved lady slippers.

No comments: