Friday, June 29, 2007

Why won't I turn the paper over?


I've been working on the Sunday Boston Globes sudoku for 4 days now. Not constantly -- after all someone has to drive to summer school, band camp, sports camp, food shop, etc... But in between stints in the drivers seat, I pull it out of my purse and look it over. The it being the entire Globe magazine folded in half, so I can't see the answers at the bottom of the page. Why do they put the answers on the same page?

Last night I finally made some headway. Filling in one block and two columns completely. I thought I was made in the shade. Thought I had finally found the key sequence that would lay open the entire puzzle. Nope. And then the little one asked: Why don't you just turn the paper over?

Why not look?

When I extracted myself from the puzzle, to put the finishing touches on the kitchen, she looked."Your answers are right so far." Usually they are. I never guess in sudoku. It's too painful to back track.

But I know why I won't turn the page over. Once I look, the fun of the challenge is over. And then where would I be until next Sunday.

No comments: