Thursday, August 06, 2009

Beach Bums

When I was growing up we lived within an easy car ride to the beach. Lunch packed, toting towels off we would go, escaping the heat and humidity of the city. Now that I am older and we live just out of beaching striking distance, sojourning to the sand is more of an adventure. Yesterday we had such a time.

With three other families we hit the sandy shores of fun. The kids dug wells, built sandcastles, body surfed, kayaked, and swam. The other moms joined them -- dipping into the water to cool off from the sweltering heat. For me, the water was so cold, my ankles would hurt if I stood there too long. I couldn't imagine how these kids were not popsicles, but they were having a blast.

As three o'clock drew near, (and the thought of all that rush hour traffic pressed in...) the kids looking more like sand art, it was time to rinse off in the surf and start packing up. Without a complaint they grabbed up the boogie boards and headed back in. I figured I would give the water one more try. Ankles in, knees wet... I stepped out further. I couldn't imagine how I managed to swim off the shores of Maine and not here. The call came out about a great wave. The excitement built as the kids lined up their boards for the big ride. My glasses and hat still on, I lined up with them and took the wave to shore. What fun.

Our departure was not on schedule. There were many great waves to ride.

No comments: