Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Word Association

Whenever I see Indian Pipe I think over my grandfather. Grampa smoked a pipe and he loved being outdoors. My fondest summer memories are of family camping up at Dolly Copp in the White Mountains. The Imp watching over our campsites. Doing the family climb up Pine Mountain; looking for garnets as big as the tip of Grampa's pinkie as we mounted the top. Impromptu hikes with other camping teens up Carter Dome and Madison. Strolling the Great Gulf Wildnerness with my brother.

Today, when I ponder summer vacations, those teen summers scrambling around the White Mountains are the ones I look forward to reliving with my children. They are just about old enough now. Next year. It will be good to visit the Imp and his boulder buddies again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just becareful, Dolly Copp is not the same as when we were in our youth. With budget cuts the state and Federal government bound together and are using shall I say non professional rangers. Hell, non rangers at that, no training in the environment, no training on saftety, no training on customer service. All they do are clean the toilets and sometimes the campgrounds for room and board for the summer.
Yup, times are toug, but they have been doing this for over ten years, since the last time I was there and almost made a vow never to return. I can never say never, I have to leave the potential option of hope and that that place will turn around to the spender or our memories. To be by the fire again, smelling grandpa's pipe, to listen to their stories ...
Yup, it would be this week if not next week that we use to make our annula trip to the mountains.

Thank you, I just took a trip back that was the most relaxing 2 minute vacation I think I ever had!

Time to go to work, taking the bike and living the dream!

Peace,
Bro

P.H. said...

Come with us.