Friday, March 03, 2006

The End and Then Some and Then Some More

Well I finally read to the end of my book, and I hate it. You might think this upset me, but it didn't. It was liberating to be so separated from my work that I could actually really hate something I've worked on for over seven years. In some odd way it's like not loving one of your children. Thank God words are not so binding or we'd all be stuck reading first drafts.

The current ending reminds me of ending of The Terminator. You know, when Arnold gets burned up in the gasoline truck fire, only to rise up from the ashes. Then we have to go through the whole ordeal in the factory before he is finally terminated. Well in my novel the little girl Sarah goes thrrough one ordeal only to have to go through two more similair scenes. After each section I said, oh that's a good ending -- to realize there was more.

I....t.... d...r...a...g...s... o...n... a...n...d... o...n....

So a rewriting I will go. I think all three situations have to happen but there has to be a way to combine their endings so that the mood of the book doesn't take you on a crazy roller coaster ride.

3 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

Hmm. I really didn't feel like things were happening too fast. Remember--this is a YA book...they like rollercoaster rides, don't they? (Think Harry Potter...especially the first slim book...things happened fast).

I still have the last third of your book in my car...I'll give it to you when I see you next (probably at Niblets).

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!

Steve said...

I think your detachment can only help. You can be more critical and open to improvement if you're not so wed to certain established storylines.

God Bless Ya, Patty. You're a far better person than I when it comes to editing. Keep working it until it's right. I agree with FC, though. Keep it moving or your young adult audience may lose interest.