Monday, March 20, 2006

Tea For Three and Three For Tea

This morning I really didn't want it to be Monday. The weekend went by so quickly I barely had enough time to squeeze the girls. I hate that. Anyway, I dragged myself out of bed and proceeded with the day.

At the usual early time of 6:30 the girls started to stir. First the little one and then her sister. Both wanting the cozy. Obviously, they hadn't had enough weekend squeeze time either. Then they had a briliant idea, "Can we have a tea party at breakfast? Can we use Great Nana's tea cups and my tea pot?"

I smiled, and said, "Sure, why not?"

In a flash they were dressed. In two flashes I had the kettle on. Breakfast was mint tea, with milk or sugar, mini bagels with butter, and honey. Mind you, I've given up breads and the such for Lent, being good with the girls outweighs the sacrafice of pushing aside my most favorite food group.

Tea was lovely. The girls practiced their best British accents and daintily ate their bagels. I saw that all our hounding about table manners had actually sunk in. And to top everything off, there was enough time for a few games of mancala.

So, see Monday's can have a bit of the weekend left in them. Thankfully.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, I would have enjoyed having you as my mom!

Idiot Cook said...

Me, too.

And yet another nice little essay...or perhaps the start of a feature article for "Parenting"..."Ten Ideas for Magical Monday Breakfasts." Each Monday, do something different with the girls, and write an article for Parents...they love stuff like that.

DawnApril said...

I always said I wished she was my mom. Not that I don't love my mom and think she's awesome, I do. But to have two moms would be cool. Actually, maybe not. Maybe I'll just pretend she's my mom now. Hey, can I have some gas money?

P.H. said...

As your mother, I'd have to say if you want gas money -- get a job.
Harsh -- but true.