Thursday, January 18, 2007

One of these things is not like the other...

Momma's mittens.

As a learning experience I figured I'd try to knit a pair of Russian ethnic mittens. I have a Russian sister-in-law and wouldn't it be nice to surprise her with a nice pair of mittens next Christmas. For this test, with acrylic yarn -- not the recommended expensive and wonderfully warm wool -- I started the first mitten over Christmas break. My first mistake was beginning the pattern in the wrong place. Also despite counting twice, somehow I ended up with two few stitches on the needles. Still I learned how to knit in a circle on double pointed needles and to carry two colors through out the pattern. And in the end I had mitten number one. Not incredibly warm -- but a nice looking mitten if you observe it from a quarter mile away in a snowstorm.

Mitten two -- on the right -- I got the design centered and followed the stitch grid for the skinnier mitten but still following the larger pattern. Hence the mitten is quite long. But I have long fingers, so it works, for me, Momma.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty!
No one will notice when you're wearing them.