Saturday, July 26, 2008

Reflections

For the final (for now) entries at the Dragaroo blog we've all been asked to write down our reflections about the pilgrimage. And even though I been posting pictures and thoughts here on my own blog, these final reflections are still muddled in jet lag. But it's not so bad, as I have the songs We Are One Body and Your Grace is Enough running through my head constantly.

Jet lag is an amazing thing. Lying in bed, I think I'm ready to get up. It's only when I put my feet on the floor that I realize that I might be up physically, but mentally I'm still a mess. Still with a written down to do list I have been pushing forward. This morning, for some unknown reason, I'm making granola; Bosky Dell Farm Granola. I am chalking it up to rekindling ties with family and close friends. That in someway by making the granola that I'll be drawn even closer to the people I prayed for while on pilgrimage.

The best day for me at World Youth Day was the day I had a migraine and stayed back at the hotel. That morning as I showered (hoping the water would take the pain away) I wondered just where my solo pilgrimage would bring me that day. Sixteen Dragaroo t-shirts in hand, I was making my way to a laundrymat to ensure we would have proper team spirit for our walk to Randwick, when I ran into a priest in the hotel lobby. It wasn't just any priest. He was the one who had truly spoken to me in his preaching. He said, "Reconciliation is for everyone." So in the lobby, I thought I'd find out for myself if he was right.

Thirty minutes later, after asking him if he had 5 minutes to chat, I still had a headache, a bag of dirty shirts, had relayed two text messages to my pilgrimaging group about Mass, but felt a soulful sense of relief. Not that he could help in all areas, but he directed me along avenues for myself to explore.

Life unto itself is a pilgrimage. It's going to be interesting to see where this pilgrimage takes me.

P.S. Later in the day I ran into the same priest and he said, "We missed you at Mass." I told him I had gone back to bed, and when my alarm went off, my head was still raging, so I went back to sleep. He asked if I was better, and I said, "No, not really, but I had to get the shirts from the laundry." He then preceded to pray over me with another woman from our group. I felt a warmth and then my headache lifted. Pretty cool, huh!

No comments: