Thursday, July 10, 2008

Space dictates the project

Two nights ago I found out two things:
1. I have to carry 24/7 a binder stuffed with all the WYD paperwork on each member of our mighty Dragaroos. Oh don't feel sorry for me Argentina, all us adults in charge have this hefty duty to bear. And rightly so, for safety.

2. My backpack is heavier than I had hoped. With said notebook, camera and lenses, monopod, extra pair of shoes, rain ponch, sleeping bag, etc...

and one more thing, a staggering thing -- We have 9 hours of lay overs between here in Sydney. So I've packed cards, chess, sudoku, and checkers. All travel sized, but still all taking up precious space I had initially allotted to my knitting.

To this end, twice now, I have taken everything out of my backpack and put most stuff back in. In downsizing I ditched the extra package of travel-sized tissues that I know darn well I'll be looking for as soon as the crowd sings the WYD song, but that's it. Everything has been deemed worthy.

What to knit? That question has plagued me for about two weeks? Do I work on a pair of socks, or the dishcloths I hope to make for Christmas presents? The socks have won out on a decision of space. There is no room in the bag for the bulkier cotton yarn.

So if your watching the WYD coverage and see a woman wearing an orange hat, green t-shirt with a heavy pack on her back, and a camera pressed to her eye, while knitting -- that will be me.

Twenty-four hours from now I will be waking up, showering, and heading for the airport. Tomorrow, Late Night Catechism, the St. Pat's Dinner, the parish breakfast, and all those raffle tickets, cans, bottles, Shaws receipts, will finally come into play. Where has the past 18 months gone?

No comments: