Sunday, January 02, 2011

Lessons Learned

I work in a cemetery. Not the one pictured in this post, but a cemetery just the same. One might think it's not the greatest job, but I love it. I am entering all our residents into a database so that their loved ones will be able to find them -- more easily. And while doing my job, I am learning a lot. And it's not always who's who and who is interned where.

For instance one very old plot holds the remains for 17 family members; 14 of them, children. Young children -- ages 8 and less. Babies and infants, days old. And as I typed in their info I couldn't help but feel for their parents. Oh to hear their child cry again, just one more time.

To hear their child cry again, just one more time. That thought hangs with me. Weeks ago when we flew to Florida for a family wedding there was a child who was not the happiest soul. But instead of rolling my eyes and waiting for the flight to be over, all I could do was smile. All that inflight child wanted was to be held by her dad. What a lucky dad to have the opportunity to hold his child, one more time.

Then this past weekend at Mass there was a mom tasked with the job of herding her very active son. And again, all I could do is smile. And I wondered if that mom saw herself as blessed. Her son was with her, in her arms, under her legs, out in the aisle; active. Asking if they could now go have a hot chocolate. Lucky mom.

2 comments:

jeff noel said...

Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're finding so much meaning and happinesss in your new job. they are lucky to have you. You are very right about appreciating what and who we have even if they are ear piercing. I'm grateful to know I can still hear them and they are able to make noise. God bless you!! xo R.