Sunday, January 08, 2012

Quiet lesson in undecorating

Yesterday we put away the Christmas decorations. A task I usually don't look forward to. For everyone wants to decorate, but no one wants to reverse the process. This year I enjoyed brief visits with each ornament before they were lovingly wrapped and put in a box. Grandpa's shell, Nana's quilt square, Maria's pig, Minnie's ears... But the big lesson settled when we took care of our nativity scene. For more than 15 years I have been setting these figures up, and taking them down, with one, two, or three of my girls. And in all that time I never noticed the multiple breaks that had been repaired on this shepherd boy. The arms, head, and both feet shattered -- but then painstakingly glued back together.

At first I wondered how did I miss seeing the break lines all these years? Then I wondered, how could such destruction happen? Only to realize the lesson or learning isn't in the brokeness. The lesson is found in the loving repair of a small shepherd boy who comes faithfully year after year to worship the new born King.

2 comments:

jeff noel said...

Great lessons are always before us. Thanks for the reminder that they often reside in the most mundane activities - like cleaning up.
Thanks also for the Fb like. :)

Patty Hebert said...

For me, the lesson was in seeing the careful repair work probably at the hand's of my Grandfather. In their day these nativity pieces sold for 15 cents at the 5 & 10 store. No big dollars - but even so each was valued to the point of repairing and repainting the most shattered of figures. Making them priceless. Aren't we priceless for all our brokeness and repairs?