Monday, August 28, 2006

Our Hike

This past weekend we shared a house in NH with my brother and his family, and my parents. Eleven people; one bathroom -- but that's another story.

We had one day to do any real hiking. And it being our first day, it had to be gradual, short, and kid friendly. We picked the hike up Middle Mountain. Actually, I picked it and then convinced everyone else it would be fine.

The age range of the hikers was 5 (Mommy, I'm almost 6!) to 69 (NO, I'm not pushing 70!). The little ones were running ahead and I was in the rear, counting heads and nursing the tendonitis in my heel. Hoping we would all be able to make it. Praying I had read the contour lines correctly and I would have both feet functioning and attached when I got to the top.

Little legs tire easily, and soon we were stopping and resting after every 200 feet or so. A few times there were tears, and a bit of whining about wanting to go back. But when given the option to turn around, little legs ran on ahead.

About halfway to the top, our path went from being a six foot across road way to single file. We consulted the map quite a few times, made sure we could see a red blaze, rested some more and then pushed on to the tune of "I'm tired, can we rest. Grandpa how are those replacement knees doing?"

All the while, steadily climbing. Finally, the junior choir hit a crescendo... unlike our valiant party. Being the map holder, I replied, "After a quick left, we'll be circling to the summit."

Little eyes, and a few sets of older ones looked at me. The trail was still going straight and up.

"Well, eventually it will take a sharp left."

We climbed on. Finally the kids emerged out of the woods and on to a barren rock. Cheers erupted. "We're here."

I hated being the bearer of bad news, "Not quite. Close -- we're definitely getting up there."

More walking and not so much climbing... a cheer went up from ahead. "The trail, it's turning! Are we there?"

"Just follow it and see where it goes!" I yelled up from the rear.

"We're here!!!"

And they were. When we gathered for our summit photo. We were young and old. Some looking forward to more hiking, others picturing the couch as there next vacation conquest. But we made it. All smiles, we sat around, admiring the view and eating trail mix. And except for the steep rocky drop offs that kept calling the children to venture ever so close -- it was wonderful.

And my ankle -- it's sore, but it was worth it.

1 comment:

Idiot Cook said...

Nice post! Sounds like a fun time.