Friday, August 18, 2006

Stockbridge Part II

The trip was wonderful. I saw the Elementary school, the Elm Street Market, the library, St. Joseph church, Sarah's house on Ice Glen Rd., (along with a family of turkeys and a snapping turtle), and Melody's house on Cherry St. The hills are where I wrote them, and the sun sets right into the attic window. It's almost scary how similar things are.

At the Norman Rockwell Museum I looked at the Saturday Evening Post covers he painted. The cover for July 1, 1944 is called War Bonds. It has two soldiers still experiencing the war in the background with another soldier in the forground, on crutchers, holding a bond. I have since bought this cover to hang above my desk.

The SEP cover for August 12, 1944 is of a soldier and his wife sleeping on a train, and looking at them is a little girl. On August 14th, Martha Boss received a letter from Charles' dated July 19, 1944. This cover and the letter raised her spirits and she dreamed of long comfortable train rides with her husband. Obviously I need to get this cover as well.

I can't wait for the kids to be in school so I can sit down with the book and make the gentle little changes so the story will ring true to Stockbridge.

B.C., THANK YOU for suggesting the road trip. I can't wait to go back again. Myabe on our next trip we will see Sarah and Melody skipping down Main St. Be still my literary heart.

1 comment:

Idiot Cook said...

Wow! I'm so excited for you...can't wait to hear and read more!