Thursday, August 31, 2006

Who are the people in your neighborhood?

After waving and blowing a million kisses to my children as they left for school on the bus, I headed out for a much needed walk. We live on a virtual pedestrian speedway. At any given moment there are people walking, (biking), jogging and running errands by our house. And even though we don't know 99 percent of these individual's names, familiarity is close to family. Or is it?

Today, as I ventured out, I passed one of the usual, but nameless. I see him everyday. So do my children. This is what worries me. Two monthes ago I saw this man placing a pint of clear liquor into each of his front pockets as he searched our neighbor's recycle bin for returnables. (He knows not to look in ours, we cherish every nickel.) I tried to tell myself that I was seeing things. After all it wasn't even 9 o'clock in the morning. Still very loud mental bells were ringing.

This morning as our paths crossed, he was drinking from an oversized can of Bud wrapped up in a napkin. He was all smiles. My heart raced as I offered a passing wave and replied to his hello, making tracks to put distance between us.

Rounding the corner, and feeling safer, I started to recall the other constants that walk by. The older woman that used to run with her even older dog. Now she is walking and she is dog-less. I fear he passed away. The man not much older than me. Usually walking alone but lately pushing a baby in a stroller. Could it be a grandchild? He offers a wave as he races by. The two older gentlemen that wear out sneakers going from recycle bin the recycle bin. Somedays they are so loaded down with cans that there is a noteable skip in their steps. I wonder what they use their treasure for, the rent or a coffee or some liquid relaxation?

Then there is the overweight hitchhiker. Always laughing, always trying to engage me and the kids in conversation. For monthes we kept our distance. Seeing him by the grocery store, in coffee shops, standing on street corners. When he saw our car he would wave. Soon the kids were waving back. Then one day, in a coffee shop he gave us a Pooh umbrella. Telling us he found it and thought one of the kids would like it. I thanked him, and as I turned he said, "I find pens everywhere. And when I don't find one I steal one."

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. "Oh, really."

"Yes, and the other day I found a pen at the mall and when I opened it..."

"Why would you do that?" I asked.

"Because, inside was a ten dollar bill and some coke. It was a great lunch."

So, I ask, who are the people in your neighborhood?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, sounds kinda scary