Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Is it August already?

Not only is it August, it's August 2nd. Where has the time gone?

I remember when I was little, summers would last forever. Now, one quick sip of ice cold lemonade and it's over.

I hate the school year schedule. I hate waking the kids up and packing their lunches. I hate all homework except writing, science, and math. Those assignments I try to steal away from my children. It used to work, now they fight me. I hate the winter cold and the fact I head for bed around 6 p.m., just because it's dark out. I hate driving in the dark. I'm not a candidate for living up by the Arctic Circle. Last winter I tried to imagine what it would be like to live in a place that didn't see the sun for months. A place that was dark all the time. I didn't like it. But I wouldn't mind seeing it on vacation just once.

I love the summer. The girls getting up when sleep releases them. And I love watching them grow. I think they grow more in the summer. Or maybe it's because I see more of their long legs that I get the feeling they are growing. Or is it the hard fact that I spend a fortune on clothes at the end of each summer because nothing fits? Whatever it is, I love it.

I love the more laid back schedule. The fact that some days on the calendar having nothing written on them. That dinners are barbequed and usually late.

There are four more weeks of summer. I heading to the kitchen for a cup of coffee and by the time its gone, so will be summer. I better kiss the kids on my way. Soon they will be gone too.

2 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

Enjoy these last four weeks! I can't believe it's August either.

Anonymous said...

Time flies when you're having fun!