Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A kid being a kid and not a musician

My littlest one was booted out of her music lessons yesterday. "I can't work with her," was the final comment uttered by her wonderful teacher. I shook his hand, thanked him for his patience, apologized for her little girl rudeness, and we left. Still, 12 hours later, I wonder what went wrong.

It was her idea for the lessons. She begged us. At first we were hesitant, thinking a small child doesn't understand what music lessons are. We started slow, purchasing them a week at a time for most of the summer. She practiced daily without being told. For her age, she played beautifully. I was lulled into a state of maybe she does get this, maybe she would be the next great female banjo player, and then it hit: the mood.

At home, she would practice and play wonderfully -- when asked, and when I sat with her; not unreasonable for a little one. But at her lesson she was uncooperative, refusing to try even the slightest new thing, like using her second finger on the third fret. Her behavior got her the talk on being rude, and early bed. She'd promise to behave, swearing that she wanted these expensive lessons. The next week it would be more of the same. Finally, she got the boot.

My initial unspoken reaction last night was that I'd never support her musical whims ever again. That I'm not about to buy yet another instrument for her to dabble in, only to have it left in a dusty case for years. And now, in the early next day morning, I may be softening. After all she's young. We gave her an opportunity... an expensive one, but regardless of price, it was a taste. And in the end, for whatever reason, it was not to her liking. So in her little girl nonverbal way she rejected it.

As a parent, instead of being lulled by her music, I should've seen the end coming. And instead of pushing the practicing, let it drop. I guess she's not the only student here. That there were other lessons being taught, besides the forward roll and index, middle, thumb.

I will miss the music. Maybe I should take the lessons for myself?

1 comment:

Idiot Cook said...

You really could be a regular columnist in MWDN or anywhere else. Love these touching and insightful pieces on parenting.