Saturday, December 15, 2007

My Winter Love Affairs - Sweet Winter Love Affairs

It has happened every winter for the past 11 years. The air turns cold, the wind starts to whip, and I turn to those that offer me comfort and warmth. I admit it, I don't like being left out in the cold. So I willing engage in these affairs. Where nothing comes between me and my loves. It's mutual, for as much as they pamper me, I keep track of them. Insuring that they, too, are accounted for, warm, safe and dry; them being my hat, mittens and boots.

My mittens have seen the worst of it; developing a hole in the right warmer a few years ago. I let it go for a year. Believing I'd discard these old mittens and seek out the new. There were no others to be found. All were subpar. So a vinyl patch sewn with upholstery thread and love restored them. Showing that all can be made almost new again.

My boots are bedroom slippers for the outdoors. From the moment I first slipped my tired old dogs in those puppies, it's been love. Never have they let my toes grow wet or cold. While on the other hand, after wearing them shopping for what seems like an entire day, never do my feet feel overheated or heavily burdened. They have given me eleven years of faithful toe to knee climate controlled comfort.

And my hat -- purchased at REI again some eleven years ago, sits so low on my head, it rests upon the top of my glasses. Not the most attractive hat I've ever seen, but I wouldn't leave this home in winter without it. (And on particularly cold days, I've been known to wear it inside the house as well.) People driving by, as I take my winter morning walks, will stop to say hi. Saying, "I recognized your hat." Now that is saying something.

My winter loves, may I never have to face winter without them.

2 comments:

Ms. Zuba said...

Oh, how I have missed your writing!!! I am in detention, catching up on your blogs...

Anonymous said...

love how you find poetry in everyday life!