Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Search for a Recipe

I have standard Christmas recipes that I make every year: Kahlua Fudge, Fruitcakes, Cranberry Bread, Truffles, and Sweet and Salty Nuts. This morning I searched high and low for the nut recipe. I had every single Woman's Christmas magazine I own out on the table. For that's all I knew; the recipe is in a magazine.

Finally I found it -- hours later, in Better Homes and Gardens December 2004.

Here is it:
Sweet and Salty Nuts

Preheat oven 325

Butter - 2 Tbs
1 lb pecan or walnut halves
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light-colored corn syrup
Coarse sea salt - 1 Tbs
Freshly ground black pepper -- about 1/2 tsp
Coarse Sugar

1. Generously butter a cookie sheet.
2. In large bowl stir together nuts granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt and pepper until well combined.
3. Spread in prepared pan.
4. Bake for 25 minutes; stirring once or twice.
5. Cool completely
6. Break apart to serve...

I have been known to squirrel away an ice cream bowl, more than full, of these nuts and eat myself to the verge of being ill.

I can pass by chocolate. On many occasion, I've walked away from egg nog ice cream, maple creams, and death by chocolate brownies, but I've never been able to eat just one of these nuts.

Ah yes, with this recipe let the holiday binging begin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you sharing any? Just wondering. We already have the wonderful, delicious fruit cake.