Saturday, January 05, 2008

Brewing Beer and Knitting Socks

This morning I am brewing beer and knitting socks. Seems odd, for a person, me, who lives and breathes via the internet and email, to get so much satisfaction going back to what can be considered humanities first principles. I find there is so much satisfaction from making and then attempting to wear out a pair of handmade wool socks. And there has to be even more to be said, for going all the way from the sheep to the sock. But in my neck of the earth, that satisfaction for a sock well knit is owned by my dear friend Mrs. D.; for she has washed the wool, spun the yarn and then knit the most wonderful socks. I can only hope to learn from her.

So what is it, that draws this techno-aholic away from the keyboard and to the needles or brew? Am I taking comfort in the fact, that if the end of the world as we know it comes to pass, I'll be able to cover my feet and brew a water alternative like the Pilgrims? Is it that the knitting takes me to a quiet place. A place I pick up and tap into in the car, waiting at school, before concerts, or at mommy daycare? Who know? Truly, I've only been knitting for a little over a year. But now I can't imagine not having to push past the balls of yarn to find the keys in my purse.

And the brewing... when I was younger I used to brew with a few friends. Always following their lead; never taking credit for a batch well bottled. But today it is me, in my kitchen, the wort calmly boils aways as I type. My knitting lies next to the keyboard, waiting for me to select the publish post button.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your void is closing... But your piece of mind is expanding