Friday, January 04, 2008

Cutting Back

December was a wild and crazy month. Not in a Steve Martin way, but a bad way. Some nights there were two parents attempting to get three children to what seemed like a million places. I thought I was going to lose my mind, and at the same time change my mailing address to: ptcakes, driver's seat in the Big Rig, Large Town, Massachusetts. To say I wasn't happy is an understatement.

Something had to be done. Looking at the scheduling mess, the man and I realized that nothing could be done this year, that being 2007, but 2008 could be different, if we cut back. So we did. First the little one -- strike the banjo. Actually, she was drummed out of her lessons, due to lack of cooperation. I still find that hard to believe, my little one -- how could she lack cooperation? Then there was the middle one and her plea to be an altar server. At first I said yes, and then, no, sorry. They schedule you at whatever Mass they need you, so, no. We go to one Mass, the 8 AM Sunday and sit in the same pew with the same people, who despite the fact we don't live together, have become our family. Also, sorry no more choir. The practices made homework rushed, and the Masses they sing at our not the 8 AM. And for me, no I won't be teaching chess during the second winter nor the spring session. And no again to helping with knitting. And just in case anyone from church is reading... (yea right) when my term of Parish Council is over this May, I won't be looking for another term.

This was our first week of cutting back. I was nervous. Would the kids really miss their activities and friends? There was no pushing the banjo practice time. No fighting. No limp child draped over the one instrument that she swore she'd love till the end of time. Then Wednesday came. Instead of rushed crazy momma screaming to get your homework done, the afternoon was calm. Instead of driving out into the cold and dark for practice, we worked on flute and practiced singing the school songs for the winter concert.

Instead of craziness, there is peace. Instead of yucky driving in the car time, there was quality living room time. Showing this momma that once again. less is more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you were smart? I thought you had all the answers!

But I see that you are losing all your schooling. Are you not a scientist? You have to go to this site http://www.hep.phys.soton.ac.uk/~evans/Talk/nothing.ppt#1

It will remind you that a vacuum can not exist for a long period of time. The laws of nature, physics and life will slowly degrade and everything will be assimilated back into the collective.

The ENERGY used to fight the lack of doing nothing will out weight the energy used to do something.

The question you want to ask is why am I doing it and if it was for a just cause then it was needed to be done. Oh Sure, you might not see the results now or in a week or even in a year from now maybe not even in your own life time. But the pebbles that you dropped in the pond this summer when you were skipping rocks with your kids on that warm afternoon will someday have an effect when someone looks that the puddingstone that you helped create one million years from now.

All you have to do is adjust your potential and kinetic energy ratios.

P.H. said...

I am focusing on skipping stones in my own pond and not that of others. And already I see the benefits.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on cutting back! I've always wondered how you do it all. I'm sure you're still keeping up an incredible schedule.

Idiot Cook said...

Again, another great column for MWDN. Congrats on cutting back--you're a smart woman! :)