Saturday, January 19, 2008

Into the Fray



I have to drive into the big city today. A task I don't glom onto or relish. So much so, I would rather drive to Florida than drive into the big city airport and fly out. My reasoning is, by the time you drive in, get parking, check in and go through airport security you can be in South New Jersey. Add a three or more hour flight to that and you're half way there without any of the traffic, big dig, crazy driver, switching back and forth roadway, airport hassle.

Today, I'm not going to the airport. Today I have to go to the Reggie Lewis Center to pick up a track star. I've never been there before and Mapquest and AAA have provided me with very different directions. Mapquest is sending me on a journey down the Pike and then through the bowels of the Boston. AAA is having me take the safe route full of traffic lights and cross streets into the city then a U-turn of all things. My dad suggested a more straight forward route: the Pike, to the Mass Ave exit. Take it to the end and turn right onto Cass Blvd. Tremont will be somewhere up ahead. I can see his reasoning, but on the map there doesn't seem to be a Mass Ave exit off of the Pike. I'm still at a lose as to which way to go.

Both Mapquest and AAA say this trek should take 30 minutes, 40 tops. If all goes well, I'll be back home by 2:45, considering the 2 PM pick up time. It will take me all day to get up the courage to make the drive.

2 comments:

kris said...

The key to driving in Boston is to be more aggressive than anyone else. Of course, I have the added bonus of having the super power of never getting lost. I am a human GPS.

P.H. said...

I used to be that way. Old age robbed me of my super powers and I can't remember where I parked my invisible plane.