Thursday, January 24, 2008

Jitter bugs


I am trying to learn as much as I can about solar photovoltaic cells. I've been scouring the web, reading books, comparing electric bills. I even talked to someone who has them installed at their house. All day yesterday I sat and read and figured and jitter bugged.

What I found out is solar photovoltaic cells are one of the many greener ways of electricity production for the future, but you can start now. (The other biggie is wind.) One economic analyst calculated that by 2020 the price of generating electricity with PV will rival that of fossil fuels. My sentiment is why wait.

Another thing I found out is I can't sit still for very long unless my hands are busy... more than a few minutes at a time. It is amazing I learned anything at school, because I'm sitting, I'm reading, I'm up getting a tea, reading email, thinking about dinner, reading more, taking notes, checking email again. In the end I'm exhausted from all that movement.

I realized for me to sit and read, I need to anchor myself to the chair and table. The best way for me to do this, is food. Yesterday I refused to snack while I read, so instead I jittered about.

Oh I can sit at night and knit, while the TV is on. But even while watching TV, I'm up and doing this or that, unless I'm knitting.

What I learned: Yes, I want PV on our house. Yes, it will be expensive, (I suspect about $7500 -- after rebates for a project our size -- based on other prices I heard about). But it's like going on a BIG vacation that lasts and gives back to you for years to come.

And imagine the giggles we'll get watching the electric meter run backwards. That has to be worth a few K.

No comments: