Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Conflict of Pan Interest

I have a Le Crueset 34 for finishing the maple syrup. This beauty was a gift from my parents years ago, when I complained that the standard sized dutch ovens weren't really big enough. That I didn't have enough room for making a really huge batch of soup or stew. Christmas comes; the pan of all pans arrives - happiness.

But happiness on more than just a cooking level. This pan is perfect for finishing the maple syrup. The "half syrup" has we call it, is transfered and filtered from the big town-sized lasagna pan into this one for finishing in house on the stove.

But today, the day we celebrate St. Patrick's Day sharing a 34 size steak and kidney pie with friends, there is 44 gallons of sap that require boiling. Since realizing both events, the boil and the eating, would unavoidably fall on the same day, I have tossed and turned on the dilemma. Should I use the pan for the pie, then move it to another container so that I can finish the syrup as usual? Or do I use a different pan for dinner? No, it won't do. And to use the pan for finishing, it will have to be triple scrubbed to make sure that the syrup doesn't pick up any funny after flavor. Should I use another pan for finishing? Probably, I'll have to. But to break the routine... Still, now, the boil on, the steak and kidney pie in the oven, and 6 hours from finishing, I'm still in a quandary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two on one day!!

Congratulations on last night..It was the best to know how much you are loved --- besides us!!
We were told how proud they were of you and how lucky we are you our daughter.