Monday, March 24, 2008

I Wonder

This morning, while in the shower, I thought back to how I woke up my children. The littlest still sleeps with a blanket, Little Blankie. When I woke her up I crawled onto her bed, cozied up her and Little Blankie and said, "Lil Blankie, it's time to wake up. Help this little one get up and get dressed."

Then I woke the next with a little cozy and a quick feel of her head for a fever. She has the sniffles. Normal; I gave her a hug with the same instruction.

I have two daughters that have love objects and one, the middle one, that doesn't. And I got to thinking about this. The little one and the high schooler, both, are very affectionate. The middle one tends to push people away until she is in a state of need. She has this tough exterior with a soft marshmallow center. Does a love object serve as an indicator of one's warmth level, or affection level?

The eldest doesn't sleep with Piggy anymore, but he is still around: on/under the bed, under the pillow, stashed in her stuff. And she doesn't hang on me and kiss me like she did when she was younger, but I do get the pause and cheek before she heads off for school. The scenario is: The clock reads 6:45, she says, "I'm leaving." She picks up her books, looks my way and pauses. I in turn give her my attention and say, "Let me kiss you." Her eyes roll, but she indulges me all the same as she presents her cheek.

"Love you."

"Love you too."

No comments: