Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Easter Boil

Yesterday's warmth ushered another sap run. This late in the season the sap waits for no woman. It will sour after a day in the bin. Some might say sugarmaking is a curse. A Sunday, and Easter at that -- to be out in the shack, in the cold. But the air is relatively warm, and the stars are still out. So how fortunate I am to be out, in the quiet of the morning.

When the alarm went off, I was dreaming I was already outside, the boil on, the shack warm. Imagine what a mental state I would have been in, if it weren't for the alarm. Three hours from now, I would've dreamed I was half way through the sap, all that work -- done in a dream.

My Grandfather used to dream he and my Grandmother were driving around their late model station wagon, collecting used lottery tickets. He would wake exhausted, and need to sleep most of the day to recover. I guess it goes to show that much of exhaustion is mental.

Happy Easter. Religious or not, believer or not, I hope you experience some quiet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How I envy your self-discipline. Keep up the good work!