Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Slow Go Forward


When I laid my head down last night, the last thought on my mind was to start the boil around 11 AM this morning. That would be after the forecasted rain, when the temperatures would be in the 40s. Despite boiling protected by the sugarshack, the warm temperatures do help the boil, and conserve fuel.

When I woke up this morning at 4:30 AM, I laid there all warm and cozy under the quilt, thinking it would be better to seize the moment; and my day started. The sap is boiling. The girls are still sleeping. Inside and out of the house, all is quiet.

I'm looking through recipe books for lemon tart recipes. With Easter days away, in years past, I would have stocked the house with provisions enough for 100. There will be 6 of us this year. Truth be told, I haven't gone food shopping this week. It's looking like Good Friday, around 11 AM, is the time we'll hit the aisles. The littlest one wants artichokes. Maybe was my answer to her. Asparagus are a must for they signify spring. I was thinking I'd try my whisk at a Hollandaise. Maple syrup on squash is another given. There has to be maple syrup. But will we use the light or the dark?

No comments: