Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What to do with all this syrup?

I'm an old time scientist. It's in my blood. It's in how I solve everyday problems. It's what I do for fun. So given the current dilemma of too much maple syrup and not enough cabinet space -- I've put together a batch of Maple Mead: a quart of syrup, a pound of honey, some yeast, yeast vitamins, and water up to a gallon. Added an airlock and crossed my fingers...

The first/last batch of Mead we made is a bit potent, and harsh, to say the least. I hope it mellows with age. I hope the bottles don't explode. Time will tell. Time is the universal healer.

No worries it was a waste of syrup. The sap is still running here; clear and cold. I'll be manning the pan soon enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never did get to try the Meade. We have to get together We will bring the food you bring the drink and we will all enjoy the entertainment!
Peace on this fine day!
Bro

P.H. said...

It needs to mature before I'd loose it on the world. But yes, we'll raise a glass or two. After a few, I bet you could even get me to pull out my banjo.