Friday, July 11, 2008

It's Here

The day we've been working towards and waiting for it finally here: World Youth Day. Our bags are packed; but are we ready to go? What will we see? What will we learn? Will we all be safe? Have I packed enough clothes? Will we get through customs okay?

In the cool quiet of this night the cereus has bloomed. She has opened her petals wide and breathed in the night air. My excuse for not sleeping tonight is I don't want to sleep through this event. My own private little vigil.

On the eve of WYD my thoughts are full of Jesus in the garden. And I wonder if I will be just as apt to sit for Him?

Yesterday's walk started off with butterflies and dragonflies; hundreds of them. We feasted on black raspberries, and hunted for early ripening wild blueberries. Our guide, hot on the tail of turkey bayed for the first time in her seven years of walking those woods. Pulling on her leash; eager for the chase. Not today, she was told. The special sightings were limited to one deer, later on -- two distant turkeys, hundreds of baby toads -- two of whom got taken for a brief ride in the hands of an almost eight year old, one squished adult frog, and two black snakes. We were out over two hours, leisurely making our way on trails that still turn me around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, how was it?

I hope everything's okay. You've been quiet for awhile.