Monday, November 07, 2005

Swimming Part II -- The Swim For Life

For as long as I have known our wonderful neighbor, Sunny, she has taken on the Swim For Life, a 1.4 mile swim across Provincetown Harbor. (Actually she has participated for longer than we have been neighbors as this year was her 10th swim.) The money raised from this event goes to help people with AIDS, and for youth programs. As it is a wonderful cause, every September we would sponsor Sunny and wish her well.

This year after I swam my first half mile in the local pool I started thinking about joining Sunny instead of sponsoring her. I remember the early June afternoon I crawled out of the local pool and said to her, "I just swam a half mile. Think I could do the Swim For Life?" Sunny smiled and said sure. I figured if I swam every day, building up the mileage, that I would have a chance.

So everyday, hot or cold, rain or shine, I was swimming. Believe me it was no sacrafice. I love to swim, and I enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment as I was quickly able to swim a mile without much effort, and then a mile and a quarter. Then twice I swam 1.4 miles, figuring I only really had to do this distance once, in Provincetown Harbor.

While training I mentioned my goal to family and friends, figuring I was letting them know I'd be looking for sponsorship. I got that and more. Another friend, Mrs.G, decided to join us. So we swam and swam and swam the summer away. Actually, Sunny and Mrs.G, are very strong and fast swimmers. And usually they would be finished their laps and I would still have several to go. But the Swim For Life was not a race for me. My goal was to finish. Go into the water at the light house and come out on the other side.

The morning of the swim we met up at the registration booth, got our numbers, and found wet suits. There were over 250 other swimmers doing the same. There was even a dog, Spot taking the plunge with his owner. The sun was out, the atmosphere filled with excitement. The announcement was made for the swimmers to make their way to the ferries so that we could be taken to the start. The support people were urged to get their boats into position in the harbor.

It was on the ferry ride that I first saw and felt the choppy water. Still my spirit wasn't dampened. The opening speeches over, the signal was given and I entered the water with the other 250+ humans and Spot. I had heard from several people that the beginning of the swim is the worst. Its not the cold that gets you its the fact that you swim towards the water tower and it doesn't seems to get closer. And that was how it was for me. Making matters worse was that everytime I went to take a breath I was getting hit in the face with a wave. So I started to alter my breathing and stroke, and soon realized that being in the middle of a harbor was no place to start a new training regime. So I slogged on, and finally I found my rhythmn. I was swimming and breathing and felt good about my situation. But when I looked up I was being pulled way off course by the current. And for all the smoothness and good feelings I was experiencing I had not made much progress towards land. I wasn't tired, and I wasn't cold but I also knew I had only swam about six tenths of a mile, not even half way, and having swallowed a lot of water, I called over a boat and got fished out.

Two wonderful women and Stella, a water dog, came to my rescue. They offered me a towel and Stella for warmth. Indoctrinated into their support team I watched over other swimmers. And when we got closer in, where the chop had settled down I opted to finish the swim under my own power.

As I crossed the finish line, Sunny and Mrs.G were there waiting for me, cheering me on. And despite the fact I had taken a boat assist I felt great; now cold but great.

Now when I think about doing the swim next year, and each year after that I will know about the chop, and I know now that I can finish. I'll just take it slow, don't panic and the water tower will get closer.

No comments: