Monday, April 24, 2006

To My Daughter

You were a surprise
Unexpected, unanticipated, a blessing.
I embraced you with a delighted heart.
Bloomed with thoughts of you.
Quietly sat; waiting to feel your movements.
And then the day came, when our eyes met.
I remember that first time.
Holding you, was a love I had never felt before.

Time passes. We grow, we change.
I watched as you took your first steps.
Looking towards independence,
but always coming home.
Sharing your fears, your secrets
Allowing me to see your world
As you grew.

Shyly, you stepped out into the world.
I felt your fear.
As a part of me will always be a part of you.
And this is good. For as you grow, so will I.
And for this, I thank you.
And as you grieve, I will be there to hold you,
love you, for you are mine and I am your
Mother.

And for this, I thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love "bloomed with thoughts of you"!

P.H. said...

Humm... I guess it was love that bloomed. I was thinking about how big I got, and just how "glowing" I was being pregnant.

I will rethink the line... thanks for the suggestion.

Idiot Cook said...

I like this piece...the sentiment is real and powerful. We'll have to see what Red_Soul_Girl thinks.