Friday, May 18, 2007

Apple Trees

I've never pictured myself as a modern day Johnny Appleseed. But for the past two years we've been growing a number of apple trees from seeds we've collected from the fruit we've eaten. This may not seem strange at first. However, the truth is, up until two years ago, any apple seed I planted resulted in a pot of dirt, or a plot of weeds. Now we have trees in pots, trees in the backyard and a tree growing out by our mailbox.

And I wonder how much of this is the hand of the planter, and how much of this is the spirit of the land? A lifetime before we settled here, our backyard was an apple orchard. And up until the day we cleared the overgrown brush behind our house, one of the original apple trees, ragged, gnarly and scarred, twisted towards the sky. I distinctly remember the landscraper asking me, "Do you want that tree?"

Without giving it a second thought, for the fruits were bitter, or impossible to reach, replied, "No, you can take it down."

Since then, not a spring goes by, where I don't think of that tree, and the beautiful apple blossoms it displayed for us each April. What was I thinking? I was thinking, we'd buy an apple tree or two, of the variety we like to eat, and replace it. Hindsight tells me, in 30 seconds the history for this land was altered forever, and almost ruined.

But what does it matter? Life goes on. Progress, for the sake of progress, must be made. But does it? Does the land know better? It's true those first dozen or so apple seeds that were planted were done in pots, on our backstairs. One of the little ones wanted to try. I thought it was a foolish whim of a six year old. But the seeds germinated and we still have two of those spindly trees growing in pots in our kitchen garbage garden. (They need to be planted outside.) And from that time, we've discovered 4 more leafy healthy trees growing outside. The products of our vigorous composting.

With each discovered seedling, I breathe a little easier. Each baby is given a cleared root pad and access to the sun. Each one leaves me with the feeling that soon enough the history of this land will be repeated and all will be as it should.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ptcakes, it seems as if you only need to turn your head slightly to find lyrical essay topics. Way to go!