Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Kiss Your Children

Over this glorious weekend, a teenage slipped down a steep embankment and into the deadly waters of a quarry. We were out running errands when the news was announced over the radio. The car was quiet. Our children weren't with us. They were enjoying an overnight with nana and grandpa. Subconsciously, we went to pick them up early. And as we visited before dinner I was all over them with kisses and hugs. I couldn't help myself. It had been not quite 24 hours since I had seen them.

My older one is not always home, spending time with dad. Even though the shower of affection can't physically happen when she is with him, there are daily phone calls. Usually just one, after school to find out about the day's events. Sometimes more than one. The call could be five minutes in length or usually when I'm pressed for time, that's when the conversation takes on a life of it's own. And I'm reminded that this right now is the most important thing in life. Because if we dismiss our children today, who's to say they will be there tomorrow?

My heart is heavy, for these parents, who in the time it takes to slip down an embankment lost their son. God give them strength. I cannot imagine the pain and anguish they are going through.

Kiss your children, every moment of everyday. Make sure they know that you love them.

No comments: