Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Damn Ice Dams!

There are always two sides to every story, every conflict, every situation. With all this weather we've been having, we had ice. Followed by water -- dripping from the outside of the house to the inside. It was interesting, in an oriental sort of way. Being 47 and married to a homeowner, it was a new thing for me. I felt assaulted. I took the water seepage personally. I didn't want to call someone else to fix it. I wanted to do it myself.

So with the man on one side of the house, and me, with my trusty hat, boots, and mittens, on the other we cleared the gutters. It was a beautiful day to be twenty feet up. The sun was out. There was no wind. The children were in school. And except for the hammering and chiseling of ice and frozen leaves, it was peaceful.

I was on the interesting side of the house. I got to watch the numerous deliveries to the neighborhood package store. Who knew that eight full-size trucks delivered their liquid wares there in a four hour stretch? Certainly I didn't. Must have a great business going.

I developed a great system for clearing gutters in winter. First put down a thick layer of eco friendly ice melt. Fluff it in among the frozen leaves. Pour on hot tap water. Let it sit. Then take the garden trowel and hammer it along the base of the ice. With this technique I was able to free large sections of gutter gunk at a time.

It was quite satisfying to be able to clear the gutters and save the house. And as long as the man is willing to move the ladder along the eaves for me, I'll clear the gutters anytime. Well, as long as the sun is out, there is no wind and the children are in school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We could use a "handyman" like you at my house! Does your husband realize how luck he is?