Monday, December 17, 2007

Entitlement

It was 8:45 this morning and we were all heading out to drive the oldest to indoor track practice. The car was encased in ice. There was only 15 minutes between us and being late. So what did the lovelies do? They begged me to open their doors, remember they were iced and quickly jumped and waited while I scraped the car off. Halfway done with steam pouring out my ears, I opened my door. The heat of the defrost slapped me in the face as I said, "You should feel ashamed that I'm out here rushing around for you, and YOU are sitting toasty in this Rig."

No response. They w ere happy to take the lashing, knowing full well it would end there. But it won't.

When I am busy knitting, or busy reading, or busy painting my toenails -- then I am too busy for whatever.

The little ones got a taste of this. While out playing today they dumped a huge amount of snow back down on the driveway. The result, we cut a playdate short so they could reshovel together. I said, "You have 45 minutes. If it's not done you both go to bed early for the rest of the week and no TV until the new year." Harsh? Maybe, but they don't hear me otherwise.

There was complaining, wailing and whining -- but in the end the job looked great.

Thankfully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha hah ahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah

rofl