Monday, November 24, 2008

Cardinal Sean

Yesterday was the closing Mass for the Boston Bicentennial Celebrations. Two weeks ago I asked the little ones if they wanted to go, and got a resounding YES from both of them. Actually it was a resounding YES from the little one, who has a real admiration for the Cardinal. (Last summer, the then 7 years old and a struggling writer, decided to write to the Cardinal and ask him for a signed picture. He did send one, and it is on her dresser -- a place for all her favorite things.) And a not so loud YES, but a yes just the same, from the middle one. She is just about finished with her Girl Scout religious award and knew that attending a special Mass was part of the process for her completion. The plan to go was set. I, on the other hand, would have to address my fears of driving in Boston, especially to places I had never been before. I used mapquest and said a prayer. After all we were going in for Mass.

We had never been to the Cathedral of the Holy Cross. We walked in, and I wished I hadn't forgotten my camera. The church is like something out of Europe, with fantastic stained glass, beautiful woodwork, and old world pews. Despite being 45 minutes early, the place was packed. As all the front pews were reserved for clergy and dignitaries, we found seating towards the back, sitting among several different orders of sisters. We had our little cubby pew to ourselves, until a woman with three children and what seemed to be her two mothers in law came and joined us. As the Mass started, their little boy and my two crowded the aisle end so they could watch the procession. It was with a rock star enthusiasm that the little one pointed when the Cardinal walked by. And I wonder what he would think if he knew spell he had over her.

Being only 8, there was no way she could see anything but the habit of the sister infront of us, unless I held her when everyone was standing, so I did. Keeping her head high above the crowd. Letting her sit on my lap, so she would be inches above the heads when we were seated.

The Mass was multicultural. It reminded me of World Youth Day. The Cardinal's message was an easy one, and I am paraphasing; Jesus said, "Love one another. And when you help the least of my brothers and sisters, you are helping me." The children sat and listened. (The sound system in the cathedral is outstanding.)

And at the end, when the Cardinal walked by again, again there was a little girl, at the end of the pew, waiting to catch a closer glimpse. And I smiled. When I was growing up, I knew our church had a local leader, but he was always off somewhere else, and not accessible. This little one has seen the Cardinal three times this year: World Youth Day all pilgrim event, Fr. O'Brien's funeral, and this Mass. How lucky we all are that he is accessible and for the people, especially for this one little girl.

No comments: