Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Waste Not; Want Not

About ten years ago my mom handed over the family mantle for growing green onions. For as far back as I can remember we had them prolifically growing, sending out shoots with babies bursting from the tip, in a corner of the family garden. Then one year the garden was gone, and I got the last of the onions for our own pastoral patch.

We now have onions growing in the front garden, onions by the hedge and onions butting up next to the rhubarb. It was these specimens that I harvested. Giving the blessed rhubarb, the anniversary rhubarb, more area and air to grow.

But what to do with an arm full of green onions. First I made onion soup. It is my own recipe:

Fill dutch oven half way with cut up onions.
Toss in some butter and saute.
Add four cups of chicken broth.
Bring to boil.
Toss in the remainder of the orzo that has been hiding in the cupboard for about 6 months.
Cook and serve.


Next is dinner tonight: Sausages, potatoes, red peppers and what else, onions.
Easy -- chop everything, put in a pan, cover and cook until soft at 300F.
I think it is great topped with mustard but the girls are partial to tomato sauce.

I contemplated making onion rolls, or bread -- but I'll leave those recipes for the onions crowding the driveway. I'll be thinning those out next week.

1 comment:

Tammy H. said...

Have to try the soup. Sounds good. Good luck with all those onions. I will feel that way about zucchini soon, I hope.