Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Backyard Wars

We've all heard about the TV show Junk Yard Wars, where there are two teams that have to build something out of junk in a limited period of time. Well here we are having backyard wars. As you might imagine one team is the household staff, humans, okay just me, and the other teams, yes I typed teams are the slugs, (no surprise there), and now the ground hogs. The brazen ground hogs who think nothing of coming out under the cover of night and digging tunnels in the middle of the back yard. Not even availing themselves to the cover provided by the lilies for their horrible digging, but right in the middle of the backyard. It reminds me of the Monty Python line, "I wave my private parts in your general direction."

Yesterday when I surveyed their handiwork I just filled in the mess. Last night when I awoke around 2 AM, and spied telltale signs of digging I knew it was war -- now on two fronts.

I'm bringing out the big guns. It's not going to be pretty. No slug is safe, I am personally inviting all slugs, near and far, for swimming lessons in my portable salt water pool; no experience necessary. And I won't give away the ground hog battle plans. This is a war I am aiming to win.

4 comments:

Tammy H. said...

Good luck, so far, we have no signs of these dastardly creatures, but it could be that they fear water, which we do have a lot of these days.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

A friend of a friend of a friend of someone I know has had this problem for a while. He would look out his window late at night or early in the morning and see the groundhog taunting him like the one in Caddy Shack.

Well my friend’s friend’s friend, he was in the military and was an excellent marksman’s for our great country (Thank him for his service) and decided to eradicate the varmint off his premises.
He trapped them, caught them. Move then to the wild woods miles always from his rural house. Yet, they would come back, he knew them because he studied them he went so far to start thinking like them
So he decided to poison them, but was worried about his household pets dogs, cats and kids (nope not a goat just a domestic kiddy from the mommy) If God forbid got hold fo the corpse or the poison and ingested it. So poisoning was out.
So he is now hunting them from his bathroom. Every once in a while when he sees that they are getting brazen he waits at the bathroom window and pops them off now and again. One thing to remember is too wear hearing protection when firing off an weapons from a tiled bathroom. (I was told he learned the hard way!)
Funny thing is though, they come back now and again. Friends of Friends think that he should put their little heads on sticks near the holes as a warning to the other groundhogs. But I do not think that his wife would like to have post apocalyptic like the Mad Max scene in her backyard.

To the groundhogs it is war, get the best deterrent that there is! Get Carl the Gardener!

Peace

P.H. said...

I am leaving the holes, and placing little containers of hot sauce in them.

my backyard said...

this looks nasty. good luck with your battle!