Tuesday, July 14, 2009

How does your garden grow?

While out patrolling for slugs this morning I noticed that the flowers close to the central stalk of the pumpkin plant are male and the flowers along the vines are female. I had never noticed that phenomenon before. Interesting.

We have three ripening tomatoes. I may pick them and put them in our salad for tonight's dinner. To go along with the four beans I rescued out of our garden. Something has gotten into the garden, (the pumpkin has weighed down the fence...), and mowed down my beans.

Normally I dislike green beans. But beans fresh from the garden are lovely. I might try a third planting once we figure out who has placed the 24/7 reservation at their own private buffet. Strangely enough, it ate all the beans and the wayward poppy, but didn't eat anything else, yet.

The beets are looking good. I have been eying their leaves and their roots. And the corn is tasseling.

1 comment:

Tammy H. said...

Sorry to hear about your beans. I know how discouraging it is to do all that work and have something else reap the benefits!