Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Update on the one plant

It still grows. I took this picture during the heat of the day, so the leaves are a bit droopy. In order to get the whole plant in view I had to stand on the other side of our yard.

Being away for vacation, one of my fears was that something would get into the garden and we would come home to bare stems and no fruit. Thankfully that did not happen, but we do have a developing problem of the squash leaves turning white. I am hoping the fruit development will come before the plants die.

Having produced seven nice squashes from a composted seed, I would have to conclude that the buttercup squash invasion is doing nicely, but the butternut, acorn and small pumpkins still have a ways to go. Searching on the internet has me thinking it is powdery mildew. The internet is truly a wonderful resource for backyard farmers. Many universities and agricultural services have posted fact sheet that are very helpful.

No comments: