Sunday, May 08, 2011

Mother's Day

Mother's Day reminds me of a trip to Disney World. The day and the place for their own reasons are the most joyous and the the most stressful in their category.

For the place, my heart's home away from home, months of planning and anticipation all focused on five, if you are lucky, days of perfect vacation. Talking, wishing and rehashing the details to ensure that everyone's dreams come true. The result: In the course of 30 Magic Kingdom seconds you see the whole emotional gamut: over the moon joy, parents beaming with delight, children napping in strollers, and others overwhelmed to the point of tears. I love this place.

On the other hand, I dread Mother's Day. The girls secretly formulate the perfect day after weeks of interrogating questioning: Mom what do you want for Mother's Day? My answer: No fighting.

They settle on: Breakfast in bed, homemade cards, gifts bought with their own money, all vying for my biggest and solitary atta girl. The results: giggling and whispers, stress and fighting, kitchen disasters, tension and crying -- every year, without fail. And every year, I dread Mother's Day, to the point I wouldn't mind canceling it.

But this year, to my surprise and to that of the girls: Mother's Day came early. Wednesday evening was Mother's Day in the truest and most wonderful sense of the day. For tired from work, food shopping and cooking the lovelies sat me down at the kitchen table, where I could still monitor the simmering pots of chili and pea soup, and proceeded to brush my hair and rub my feet. Five minutes and the world was good.

Nothing else need be done. I'm set for another year. Well, maybe no fighting, that would be nice.

No comments: