Thursday, December 19, 2013

I almost forgot

Last night after play practice, the girls getting down to their homework, I almost forgot to exercise. I know, what could be the big deal? Must I exercise every night? The answers to these questions are: Yeah it is a big deal and no I don't exercise every night.

But last night exercise almost flew right off my radar. Life is so busy these days. This is the first holiday season in 15 years that I am working full time. By now, for many years past, I have had the Christmas meal planned and food purchased. The gifts are wrapped and placed under the tree for the kids to shake and ponder. Cards sent. Teacher offerings created. Christmas cookies baked and exchanged. Fruitcakes made and soaked while visions of sugar plums danced in my head.

This year, thankfully my Mom is hosting Christmas but it is requested we have our traditional dinner the Sunday after. For this meal, the food is not planned out or bought. My mantra: You still have time. I do. The presents are somewhat bought but none are wrapped. (I think everyone is covered.) And I still have time... Nothing, not one cookie or fruitcake has been baked. No candies or cayenne pepper fudge concocted. Not one card sent... And last night, I almost forgot to don my bike clothes and visit my dear cycle housed in the garage for a bit of pedaling.

So what's the big deal? I don't exercise every night, that's true. But to forget (almost) an anticipated bike date.  As I was pedaling along, my music silenced, I was pondering the near miss. And after mentally agreeing that life is very hectic and what I truly needed was to quiet my mind, I cut my session to 30 minutes and finished off the evening with a meditation.

It's interesting how life works out. Maybe tonight I can get in some wrapping.

2 comments:

jeff noel said...

Patty, the fact that you are thinking like this is amazing.

The past two night after working all day at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resort, I almost fell asleep driving home. It's all but 15 minutes with rush hour traffic.

No exercise. Not happy about it, but accept it as part of the ebb and flow.

Wishing you the simplest of blessings this Christmas. Maybe the change in routine (working FT) will reveal something extra-ordinary.

God is good like that.

Patty Hebert said...

Blessings to you and your family, Jeff.
Stay safe.