Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Who did I meet?

Driving home I was in traffic behind a school bus. The roads icy. The sidewalks piled with crusted ice chunks. Traffic was heavy and steady until it came to an abrupt stop. A older man, crossing the road with his wife fell into the street as he was trying to climb over the snow bank to the relative safety of the sidewalk. Traffic stopped in both directions. Twice he tried to right himself but all he managed to do was inch himself out of imminent harms way and into the boulder ice field. Horns blared. Vehicles inched by.

I pulled up past the couple into the safety of a neighboring parking lot. When I reached the couple a shop owner was also at their side. In stereo, we asked if they were ok. Did they need help?

The gentleman had his hip recently replaced. His face had been cut by his fall.  He could not negotiate the icy terrain. The shop owner and I helped him up. The man could not support himself given the uneven ground. His wife asked for a ride home. They lived 2 blocks away. We helped him to my vehicle.

What was I doing? Putting strangers in my car. My daughter was with me... Would we be a news headline? Abducted? Carjacked? I nervously smiled. Inched out into the traffic and drove them home.

As we parted, they both thanked us and gave us God's blessing. But did you catch his name? Read my comment below to find out.

3 comments:

Patty Hebert said...

His name was Jesus. Disguised in the distress of the poor.

Anonymous said...

God bless you for taking the time ... may their Christmas be a bit more joyous because you cared.

jeff noel said...

The blessings went both ways and sideways. 'Jesus' is blessed to know a stranger would help, as He had taught us to do.

You are blessed simply in the giving.

Maddie was blessed to be in the crowd of witnesses.

Well done good and faithful servant.