Friday, June 12, 2009

For it is in giving that we receive. -- St. Francis Of Assisi

Today is the last Girl Scout meeting for our year. For some of our girls it will be their last meeting forever. As fifth graders they stand on the precipice between elementary and middle school, Juniors and Cadettes, and they are making the choice to take that first step without the second. Some say they will be too busy, wanting to pursue drama, or dance. I say, "We meet twice a month. Make time." Others say we did too much community service, as echoed by their parents. And that takes me by surprise, and leaves me without any more of a response than a gaping mouth. How can one do too much community service?

We were not raking lawn, picking up trash, or visiting our elderly neighbors every moment of every meeting. We collected flip tops to donate to the Ronald McDonald House, sewed two small quilts: one for a scout's new baby sister and another for a critically ill child, and participated in our community Green Up day. Then there was the fun skit spoofing the teachers in the local school's variety show: all proceeds go towards the fourth grade, and putting up posters for the school's walk-a-thon -- raising money for our Physical Education program. All these events I thought came wrapped in their laughter...

When I woke up this morning St. Francis's quote: For it is in giving that we receive, was running through my head. And I remember trying to teach my older teen this very same message. Open your hands, and your heart will be overflowing. There is so much satisfaction in giving, that in a world were the gimmes are grabbing for all they can get, and coming up empty, I believe giving could be coined our societal life saver.

We read the tabloids and watch on the tv and internet about the rich and famous having it all, but still not being happy. Then we read books, especially the children's book about the quilt maker and the greedy king that wants one of her beautiful creations, but she won't give one to him, until he gives all his possessions away. How sad this king was until he learned to give. But in the end he possessed the best riches of all.

I consider myself very lucky. I have found that St. Pius was right, the more I give -- the richer I am. When Pius was the Pope he commented, "I give a million dollars away in the morning and someone else will give me 2 million in the afternoon." No, there isn't a line outside my door with people handing out money. His point -- Giving begets giving. And if one gives, they get back a thousand fold.

But Catholics aren't the only ones that know the secret of giving. Giving transcends all religions, faiths, and nonfaiths. These quotes are from the Quote Lady.

  • The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose.--Heda Bejar

  • Getters don't get--givers get.--Eugene Benge

  • The gifts that one receives for giving are so immeasurable that it is almost an injustice to accept them.--Rod McKuen

  • Giving is a joy if we do it in the right spirit. It all depends on whether we think of it as "What can I spare? " or as "What can I share? "--Esther Baldwin York

  • Giving opens the way for receiving.--Florence Scovel Shinn

  • Giving whether it be of time, labor, affection, advice, gifts, or whatever, is one of life's greatest pleasures.--Rebecca Russell

  • The happiest people I have known have been those who gave themselves no concern about their own souls, but did their uttermost to mitigate the miseries of others.--Elizabeth Cady Stanton

  • He gives little who gives with a frown; he gives much who gives little with a smile.--The Talmud

  • He that gives quickly gives twice.--Cervantes (Don Quixote)

  • A hug is the perfect gift--one size fits all, and nobody minds if you exchange it.--Ivern Ball

  • A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.--Albert Einstein

  • I have come to believe that giving and receiving are really the same. Giving and receiving--not giving and taking.--Joyce Grenfell (Joyce Grenfell Requests the Pleasure)

  • I would like to believe when I die that I have given myself away like a tree that sows seed every spring and never counts the loss, because it is not loss, it is adding to future life. It is the tree's way of being. Strongly rooted perhaps, but spilling out its treasure on the wind.--May Sarton

  • If you find that life is flat,
    Full of this, with none of that,
    Try giving!--Margaret Gordon Kuhlman
As leaders we tried as we might to show them, and teach them that their hands would be overflowing if they just gave some of it away. After all, my hands were always overflowing with the girls and scouting.

Maybe when I am old, maybe one of these giving seeds will take root and I will get to see it grow and blossom, spilling its seeds upon others.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep planting the seed - even if only one takes hold...

And when you seed it bloom you will know the pleasure, someone will say, thank you - job well done.

We are not asked to change the world only the one we are in and that is how the seed spills over.

I can see it in my own.

Love

Tammy H. said...

I agree with your position. It is very difficult to instill in your own children the concept of giving back since they are so bombarded with gimme, gimme. In our little world, our youngest son's 6th grade class wound up with a surplus of fundraising monies. The thoughts were to give to the school or the community -- the other thoughts were to throw themselves a big party. These were the suggestions of the parents and many of us shook our heads in disappointment. If we don't teach our children, and live by example, what can we expect? I am confident that they will make a good choice, one that they will be proud of in years to come instead of some immediate gratification.

Know that you have definitely made a difference and there is never too much giving that one can do.

P.H. said...

Tammy,

We graduate 5th into 6th and our class also had an over abundance of funds with the parents and students split over what to do with the money. I was shocked and surprised. In the end the children got an extra field trip and the remainder went back to the school for needed supplies.

Anonymous said...

For this, the gates of heaven are your...

Peace be with you and I am glad to call you not only sister but friend.

My God bless you

P.H. said...

Oh Bro,
You make me blush.