Friday, June 26, 2009

Ghost Girl

While walking through one of those warehouse stores that sells other store's leftovers, I saw the book Ghost Girl - A Blue Ridge Mountain Story by Delia Ray. Hard cover in perfect condition, the price was a third of the cover. Caught up in the colors and presentation of the title and dust jacket illustration, (isn't that what a jacket is suppose to do), I picked up the book and read the inside flap. The book is about an eleven year old girl, April, who lives in Blue Ridge Mountains. Ms. Ray took letters and notes saved by the one room school house teacher, Miss Vest, and created this work of historical fiction.

Yesterday I sat down to read this book, and I stayed up until early this morning to finish it. Ghost Girl is a wonderful read. It is a story deep in hardship with a lining of promise. It gives a glimpse of what life was like in poor rural parts of our country during the depression. In some areas, I am sure, it is still the same.

Ghost Girl is not on any of my girls' summer reading lists. It should be.

No comments: