Tuesday, July 03, 2007

All American Fun

Our 4th of July celebration rang in with some good ol' American fun. We went to a baseball game, courtesy of the wonderful Worcester Tornadoes. Tonight's game, a stellar preformance -- they won, 7 to 2, was topped off by some nifty fireworks.

I love baseball. I love bringing my family to a game. I love yelling, "Watch the ball!" or "Oh my goodness!" I love a miracle catch, an inventive error, an outof the park home run, or a fast worm burner. I love the fact that I can take my family to a game, in a small hometown feel stadium, and sit this close to the first base line. For a unbeatable $10 a seat we could've wiped the sweat off the batters' foreheads while they practiced on the on deck circles. I love this American past time.

What I don't love is the high cost of getting into a MLB stadium. The fact I'd need a second mortgage to touch the green monster, or feed my three children a hot dog and soda. And why? When we can get great baseball without all the hassle of heading into the big towns, with their big traffic, for the bigger, but not necessarily better game. Can I get a seat for $10 at Fenway? Would I need binoculars to the see the game? Or would I be better off staying at home and watching it on TV?

Thank God for the minor leagues. They provide exciting accessible baseball to everyday working Americans. We're already planning a roadtrip to Brockton to watch the Brockton Rox. Be still my heart, and have a wonderfully American Happy Independence Day.

1 comment:

Ms. Zuba said...

Right before I left for IN I went to a PawSox game. Best fun I've had in a long time. Rock on! Happy 4th.