Monday, September 17, 2007

The Great Circle of Life

I don't need to travel to Africa to be reminded of the great circle of life. I don't need to listen to Disney soundtrack. One quick glance into one of our two compost barrels and I see it, and smell it. At least the first half it. You know, that part about how one person's refuse is another person's compost, errr.... I mean treasure.

But we came full circle today. We picked one of my melons. (Grown from a seed in the compost.)As BigMama instructed, it had the sweet aroma of a cantaloupe. We carved it up and ate it. Putting the lovely sweet meat in a bowl to share at dinner. The leavings, the rind and the seeds, placed ceremoniously into the kitchen bucket, now await the return trip back to the barrel. So it goes; the great circle. No air fare needed. No passport either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come my compost never yields these goodies? I guess because I put the lid on the black plastic monstrosity, as directed.

P.H. said...

I keep the lid on too. Only removing it to add or remove stuff and then once I took it off to take a picture.