Thursday, October 11, 2007

Another late start

I hope all this sleep I'm getting is good for something. It's great while it's happening, but the after affects are a bit disturbing. Kind of like the Rolling Stone song that goes something like, You don't always get what you want, you get what you need. Now to figure out exactly what I need... Before I thought I needed sleep. Now I think I need more time. Life is truly a balancing act.

I was talking with the girls the other day about diet, and asked if there is a place in life for sweets? They said they didn't know. I said, "There is, but it's a small place. That to deny yourself chocolate was to make it bigger than it is. And when you have some, it will consume you, instead of you consuming it." Now what does that have to do with hydrangeas?

Strangely there is a connection. One sister-in-law has a hydrangea that is several years old that has never bloomed. Another just bought a house with a full blooming hydrangea that is so old, at least a hundred as seen in the photos at the historical society, that it's a tree instead of a bush. Both are in full sun. The elder is planted in the hard soil, right next to a well traveled road. The unbloomed is nestled a garden in the safety of a backyard. What does one plant have that the other plant needs?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this answer!
One is left alone to be on it own and to live is life as it wants to.
The other was over protected and clipped close to the ground and cover up lovingly with mulch and straw.
For it was I that lovingly trimmed the plant back to the soil line, covered the stalks with mulch so that the frost would not destroy the plant. Yet it was also my doting ways that destroyed all the blooms for the next year. It was not until your sister in law said, some plants are like children you just don't lop them off at the bottom and expect them to grow back the same the next year. Trim and Prune but leave them alone to grow and experience the warmth of the sun and the bitterness of the cold.
With only experiencing both will God's creation be strong.
Ciao