Sunday, February 24, 2008

I tapped


I was going to wait, but couldn't. The sun out. The winds calm. I hung 14 buckets. Some were shy to let forth their clear goodness. Others spewed forth welcoming the season with a reckless abandon generally reserved for a new bride.

As I walked from tree to tree, knee deep in snow, I saw the synergy of the weather with maple sugaring. The thick blanket of snow will ease in the season. With this weather comes a reassurance that there will be plenty of thoughtful sessions in the sugar shack. Quiet mornings, with bowls of steaming oatmeal and hot chocolate before school. All good for soothing the soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is what I am talking about!

Idiot Cook said...

I love it when you start tapping b/c, to me, it's a sign of SPRING. Maybe I'll stop by some morning...