Tuesday, May 20, 2008

For M.B.

Last night, while editing, I decided to dedicate my book to M.B.; last name Boss, first name not Martha. She's a lady from my past, with a long forgotten story of her own. So, I will give her Forever Yours. After all she does play a role in the character development.

When I was younger our lives crossed for a while. I learned how to French braid hair on her long gray tresses. She told me she was a model in her twenties, but then at 88, sadly mislaid by her children, grand children and great grand children. How could a family not visit a woman who could sit and rub your hands with her paper thin fingers?

Now, 35 years later, I still haven't forgotten her. In Forever Yours, she is not the character of Martha. She is the strong, loving, dedicated, devoted sister-in-law, Alice. Though I knew an Alice, A.B., once too. She was a tiny woman, frail with her long hair piled upon her head. I haven't forgotten her either.

I miss them both.

No comments: