Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chilling

We have been chilling here. Moving slow. Knitting a baby hat to match some baby socks, and taking it a day at a time. Time is charging past. To dos fall by the wayside. Meals consist of leftovers and catch as catch can; and I don't care. I'm not packed. Not focused. Not anything, but sitting. Sometimes you just have to get off the merry-go-round and... nothing.

Maybe nothing will be my New Years resolution. Maybe instead of accomplishing the world, I'll focus on accomplishing nothing. For someone who is constantly moving, that would be an accomplishment.

And then sometimes, if you are patient, you get something from nothing. For instance last spring, when we decanted the maple syrup out of the quart canning jars and into the fancy pints for gifts I collected all the sediment and that little bit of syrup that always gets left behind. I filled a jar with the maple sand, and stuck it in the back of the cabinet. Then last week when I was making maple Kahlua I found this:

almost a full quart of syrup that would have been washed down the drain with the sediment. Goes to show you have to be careful about what you throw away, and what is worth keeping.

No comments: